Residential Block Management FAQ's

Please find below a few Frequently asked questions about Residential Block Management by both residents and landlords of Managed Properties.

What time are Casserly Property Management offices open?

Our offices are open Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 5.00pm. We also operate an emergency out-of-hours service after 5.00pm and at weekends. This service is for urgent repairs and health & safety issues only.

Why employ a Managing Agent?

A Managing Agent such as Casserly Property Management has considerable knowledge, expertise and experience in the management of residential developments.  A Managing Agent is able to advise upon the various issues including health & safety, changes in legislation, accounting requirements etc.  In addition Casserly Property Management endorse, accept and undertake to comply with the Service Charge Residential Management Code of Practice published by RICS.

What is a Residents Management Company?

The Management Company is set up at the start of the development by the developers.  It is a company which has responsibility for providing all of the services to the development as set out in the Lease.  These include such items as building insurance, communal area cleaning, landscape maintenance and general maintenance and repairs. 

All owners of properties within a development are either shareholders or members of the Management Company and following the sale of the last property within a development, the owners of properties take control of the Management Company themselves.  It is common for them to appoint a Managing Agent to act on behalf of the Company to provide the various services

What are my responsibilities as an owner?

As an owner within the block, you are responsible for anything within your apartment including any wiring or pipe work that only supplies your apartment. You must abide by the covenants set out within the Lease.

These include such things as ensuring there is no noise nuisance to other residents, obtaining permission for pets and not making any internal alterations.  Full details can be found in your lease.

If you are subletting the property, please ensure that we are provided with your alternative contact details.  You also need to make sure that your tenant is aware of the covenants affecting the property.

Why do I pay a service charge?

The requirement to pay service charge to the Management Company is set out in the Lease.  It is to enable the Management Company to provide all of the services. This can include window cleaning, gardening, communal electricity, minor repairs, buildings insurance, agent management and accountancy fees. For a more detailed explanation, please refer to your annual service charge budget which is issued each year by your Property Manager.

What is ground rent and why do I pay it?

The ground rent is completely separate from the service charge.  Leaseholders may be obliged under the terms of their Lease to pay an annual rental charge to the Freehold owner of their property. This for the land upon which the property is built and for the rights of access across the communal gardens and surrounding areas.

How do I pay my service charge?

Most leases provide for the service charge to be paid on set dates throughout the year.  These can be annually, half yearly or quarterly.  We encourage payment by standing order as per the lease dates. Payment can also be made by bank transfer (BACS) or cheque. We also accept card payments (debit cards only) over the phone on 0161 787 6197.

How do I change my correspondence/billing address?

If you are changing your correspondence address, please contact your property manager so we can amend our records. If we are not notified of your address change, we cannot notify you of any important issues at your development. In addition we will not be able to send your service charge invoices to the correct address.

What happens if I don’t pay my service charge?

The non-payment of service charge can have an effect upon the provision of services to a development.  It can result in communal areas not being cleaned, gardens not being maintained and the buildings not being insured.  It is imperative that all owners pay their service charge promptly to ensure that the Management Company has sufficient funds to provide all of the services to make sure that the property is well maintained and insured.  

In addition if you do not pay your service charge, the Management Company can take legal action against you.  This could result in your mortgage company being contracted or a County Court Summons being issued against you.  Interest can also be added to the unpaid service charge.

If you have a query or payment difficulties, please contact us at the earliest opportunity. We will always endeavour to assist with additional information or advice. However, we do not have the authority to reduce the individual charges that apply.

What do I do if I am not happy with the services being provided?

In the first instance you should contact your property manager who should be able to resolve the issue or explain why it cannot immediately be resolved.  You can also raise any concerns with the Directors of the Management Company who will be owners of the properties within the development if all the properties have been sold.

Who arranges the buildings insurance on the property?

The buildings insurance for the property is arranged on behalf of the Management Company by Casserly Property Management through a broker of through the landlord’s agent depending on the terms of the Lease.  Should you need to make a claim in the buildings insurance or you would like a copy of the insurance certificate, please contact your property manager. Residents are however responsible for ensuring that they arrange separate contents insurance.

Why do I pay extra for major works such as external redecoration?

The service charge budget is primarily designed to budget for the day-to-day costs of managing your property. Often a sum of money is allocated to a ‘reserve’ which is used to fund unexpected costs or major works. Even where such a provision exists, it may not be enough to cover all eventualities. On these occasions, the costs of major works will need to be apportioned and charged as a separate item.

How do I report a fault/repair?

To report any faults or repairs for communal parts please contact your property manager

How do I arrange for the removal of bulk refuse, old furniture etc?

You should call your Local Authority to determine where your nearest waste disposal/recycling depot is located.

Where is my allocated parking bay?

Please refer to the plan that was provided to you with your lease when you purchased your property. If you do not have a copy, please contact your property manager and we may be able to either provide you with one, or point you in the direction of where you can obtain one.

How do I report an abandoned vehicle?

You should contact your property manager with full details of the vehicle. Please ensure you provide as much detail as possible as we cannot facilitate any requests without: make, model, colour, tax expiry date, and location of the vehicle.

How do I report problems of noise/nuisance caused by other residents?

Most Leases contain clauses which prohibit the playing on loud music etc outside of certain hours.  In the first instance we always ask residents to try and resolve any issues with their neighbours directly. If you have a persistent noisy neighbour you should contact your property manager who will contact the occupier of the property direct and also the owner if the property is rented out.  Most local authorities also have wide ranging powers in the event of persistent complaints.  You should therefore also contact your Local Authority's Environmental Health Officer.

How do I become a Director of the Management Company

Directors are normally elected at the Annual General Meeting.  You would normally need to give notice of your wish to become a Director prior to the meeting.  If you do wish to become a Director please contact your property manager

What are the responsibilities of a Director of a Management Company

The Directors of a Management Company are elected by the other shareholders or members and are able to make various decisions with regard to the provision of services to the development such as setting the budget, changing service providers etc.  The Directors also sign the accounts each year.  Depending on the size of a development, the Directors would normally have regular meetings with the property manager to discuss any issues arsing.  Further information on the role of a Company Director or Company Secretary can be obtained for Companies House website.

I am buying/selling a property at a development where Casserly Property Management is the Managing Agent - How do I or my solicitor obtain information?

If you are in the process of selling or purchasing a property managed by Casserly Property Management, please contact your property manager and we will be able to advise further. It is important that all sales and purchases are notified through Casserly Property Management due to legal requirements which may differ dependant on the terms of the lease.
Text Size