Commercial Case Study:
Nasmyth Business Park
“Paul has worked tirelessly with the Board of Directors to help transform a decaying industrial estate into a modern secure business park, enhancing the reputation of the businesses… and the market value of their buildings”
The park’s Directors had become frustrated with the national Managing Agent who had let the business park spiral into a state of disrepair due to several years of neglect.
The main problems were:
- Unreliable and expensive site security resulting in frequent theft and vandalism
- Streetlights and roads in poor condition making it unsafe for vehicles and pedestrians
- Poor customer service from current Managing Agent
- Lack of orientation signage confusing visitors to the business park
- Large service charge arrears due to a combination of poor debt management by the Managing Agent and the reluctance of businesses to pay for an extremely poor service
In early 2005 Paul Casserly, Director of Casserly Property Management was invited to work with the park’s Board of Directors with the goal of transforming Nasmyth.
The initial focus was to improve security. Following consultation with the police and all business park residents large scale security improvements were undertaken including:
- An electronic security gate at the site entrance which closes automatically outside business hours
- 24 hour CCTV monitoring installed
- Street lights replaced or overhauled
Casserly also successfully secured part funding of the security improvements from Salford City Council. These critical improvement works have both eliminated theft and vandalism while reducing costs.
A second phase of works included rebranding the park, installing new comprehensive signage, alongside safety improvements such as extending CCTV and streetlight coverage, installation of vehicle number plate recognition, new footpaths and car parks and creation of a residents’-only web-site which allows access to the CCTV system.
The business park has now been totally rejuvenated while maintaining the same level of service charges and eliminating service charge arrears.